Publishing at JMU
JMU Libraries provides publishing opportunities and experiences for JMU students and faculty. JMU Libraries supports a portfolio of platforms and publishing services, and seeks partnerships within JMU and beyond to broaden that portfolio in ways that advance research, creative expression, and learning. Contact a member of the Scholarly Communications Strategies department with any questions.
Help with Scholarly Publishing
- Make more confident decisions about copyright and fair use and understand and retain your rights as an author
- Use open licenses to share your work
- Evaluate traditional and open access publishing opportunities
- Avoid publishing scams
- Participate in Scholarly Commons, a publishing platform for JMU’s academic and research communities
Open Access Funding
Learn more about the open access fund to offset article processing charges that may be associated with making a journal article open access.
JMU Libraries publishes a number of influential peer-reviewed journals that have editorial board connections to the university. Journals include the following.
- International Journal of Responsibility ISSN 2576-0955
- The Journal of Conventional Weapons Destruction ISSN 1533-9440
- James Madison Undergraduate Research Journal
- VA Engage Journal ISSN 2376-7146
JMU Libraries supports the Pressbooks platform for monographs. Learn more about how Pressbooks is an easy-to-use tool for creating online books and interactive course materials. JMU Libraries offers the “EDU version” of Pressbooks, which includes features that support teaching and learning.
JMU Scholarly Commons is an institutional repository for the intellectual output of JMU’s academic and research communities. Its goal is to provide open and stable access to the exemplary work of JMU’s faculty, students and staff.
Content housed in JMU Scholarly Commons can include but is not limited to:
- published or unpublished faculty research articles, presentations, technical reports and working papers;
- open educational resources, instructional material and courseware;
- conference papers and proceedings;
- theses and dissertations;
- data sets.