CORONAVIRUS UPDATE 9/7/20
Record audio or video content for online course delivery in a safe, professional video recording environment—or receive advice for recording at home! Media Production Services staff have established practices that allow for safe video and audio recording in the Rose Library studio spaces. Media Production Services staff will also continue to support faculty via videoconferencing or over the phone.
The process to record in the studio is as follows:
- Submit a consultation request via this form.
- An MPS staff member will contact you and schedule a video/phone consultation to learn more about your request, advise on successful video production strategies, establish deadlines, and if the project is appropriate, schedule time in the studio.
- During your scheduled recording appointment, follow all MPS staff directions and safety practices. Services may be terminated by MPS staff at any time if JMU health and safety practices are not followed.
- Questions? Please contact Andrew Strack, Head of MPS.
JMU Libraries utilizes professional video and audio recording equipment to create instructional content for JMU faculty and staff. We have a professional video production studio located on the 5th floor of Rose Library, and also offer on-location video recording services.
The video studio is equipped with the following amenities:
- Professional video and audio recording devices, lighting, and various backdrops
- HoverCam Solo document camera
Examples of video recordings we can assist in creating include: interviews, tutorials/how-to, pre-lab demonstration, class introductions, video abstracts, narratives (scenarios, skits, or stories that help with the facilitation of learning, short lectures or modules used in JMU courses, and select informational videos (depending on the scope and nature of the project).
JMU Libraries staff can create professional graphic design, photography, animation and motion graphics for your instructional project. Examples include:
- How-to animations, illustrations or photography stills
- Informational or training brochures
- Graphs, infographics, or other visual representations of data or processes
Video and Audio conversion services
Convert VHS, MiniDV, HDV, DVCAM, DV, and DVD video formats from one format to another. Convert video from one codec format, such as .wmv, to another format such as .mp4. Convert CDs, audio cassettes, and digital audio files into various formats.
JMU Libraries provides audio and video conversion services to JMU faculty and staff. An example would be digitizing a portion of a VHS tape for use in a class.
Note that for legal reasons, if the majority of a copyrighted work is being copied, a separate set of approval guidelines will be applied, and the project may not be approved. To learn more about fair use of copyrighted material in educational settings, review the JMU Copyright Web Site.
Reviews your request for Canvas use of audio/video media that we own, or you own, and if approved, provides access in streaming form within your course site. To set up a streaming video, complete this online form.
In addition to our production services, JMU Libraries also offers a wide array of media equipment and support to create your own productions.
Available in the basement of Carrier, we offer a wide variety of cameras, microphones, lighting equipment, projectors and more.
Free Media for Creative Use
These sources contain material that is available under Creative Commons, Public Domain, or JMU license.
The Makery offers a wide range of tools, materials, and support for the entire JMU community. Everyone is welcome to explore media editing, a recording studio, 3D printers, CNCs, Raspberry Pis, virtual reality, paper and vinyl cutters, and Arduinos.
Workshops and Institutes
Register for learning opportunities for students and faculty
MADLab offers FREE, FUN 1 to 2 hour workshops created and taught by JMU peer teachers to help other JMU students learn skills and software.