Record video or audio content for courses in a professional recording environment—or receive advice for recording at home!
The process to request MPS services is as follows:
- Submit a consultation request via this form.
- An MPS staff member will contact you and schedule a video/phone consultation to learn more about your request, advise on successful production strategies, establish deadlines, and if the project is appropriate, schedule time in the studio.
- Questions? Please contact Andrew Strack, Head of MPS.
JMU Libraries utilizes professional video and audio recording equipment to create instructional content for JMU faculty and staff. We have a professional video production studio located on the 5th floor of Rose Library, and also offer on-location video recording services.
The video studio is equipped with the following amenities:
- Professional video and audio recording devices, lighting, and various backdrops
- HoverCam Solo document camera
- Camtasia (screen capture)
Examples of video recordings we can assist in creating include: interviews, tutorials/how-to, pre-lab demonstration, class introductions, video abstracts, narratives (scenarios, skits, or stories that help with the facilitation of learning, short lectures or modules used in JMU courses, and select informational videos (depending on the scope and nature of the project).
We can create professional graphic design, photography, animation and motion graphics for your instructional project or scholarly product. Examples include:
- How-to animations, illustrations or photography stills
- Informational or training brochures
- Graphs, infographics, or other visual representations of data or processes
Video and Audio conversion services
Convert VHS and DVD video formats from one format to another. Convert video from one codec format, such as .wmv, to another format such as .mp4. Convert CDs, audio cassettes, and digital audio files into various formats. MPS will fulfill requests in which you own the copyright.
Video is an effective way to engage students in learning about concepts. If you want to use a video in your teaching, please visit the Instructional Use of Media Collection page to learn more about streaming videos in the JMU collections and to contact your libraries liaison.
In addition to our production services, JMU Libraries also offers a wide array of media equipment and support to create your own productions.
Available in the basement of Carrier, we offer a wide variety of cameras, microphones, lighting equipment, projectors and more.
Free Media for Creative Use
These sources contain material that is available under Creative Commons, Public Domain, or JMU license.
The Makery offers a wide range of tools, materials, and support for the entire JMU community. Everyone is welcome to explore media editing, a recording studio, 3D printers, CNCs, Raspberry Pis, virtual reality, paper and vinyl cutters, and Arduinos.
Workshops and Institutes
Register for learning opportunities for students and faculty.
Learn more about the streaming videos already in the JMU Libraries collection.