Latest Developments and Other Resources
JMU and Virginia News and Resources
- New Guidance to Make Federally-Funded Research Publicly Available Without Delay (January 24, 2023)
- Open Access Update: JMU Joins the Open Library of Humanities (January 11, 2023)
- Virginia’s Public Academic Research Libraries Welcome White House Guidance to Make Taxpayer-Funded Research Freely Available Without Delay (December 16, 2022)
- Feature Friday: Open for Interpretation (December 2, 2022)
- Publishing an Open Access Article? You Need to Know about our APC Fund Pilot (October 24, 2022)
- Climate Justice and Open Access: What’s the Connection? (October 18, 2022)
- Funding Available for Publishing Open Access Articles (October 7, 2022)
- Pilot Fund for Open Access Article Publication Charges (August 30, 2022)
- Virginia Research Libraries Recalibrate Relationship with Elsevier (April 2, 2021)
- JMU Signs a New One-Year Agreement With Elsevier (Jan 19, 2021)
- Update on Contract Negotiations With Elsevier (Nov 17, 2020)
- Sustainable Scholarship Virtual Forum: View a video summary of this forum in which Dean Nowviskie and other Virginia library leaders provide an overview of the unsustainable nature of the current scholarly publishing ecosystem and the specific concerns motivating our current contract negotiations (Oct 2, 2020)
- Summary of Facts for Leaders: Virginia academic research libraries are re-evaluating Big Deal journal packages based on equity, accessibility, and cost (Oct 7, 2020)
- JMU Faculty Senate Visit by Dean Nowviskie: Our “sustainable scholarship” response to rising journal costs (Jan 30, 2020)
- Virginia Research Library Deans and Directors Endorse the MIT Framework for Publisher Contracts (Oct 23, 2019)
- JMU Experts Advance Open Access Initiatives in Library & Information Science (Oct 22, 2019)
- Open Access Resolution for JMU Libraries (May 2019)
- Statement from Deans and Directors of Virginia Research Libraries on the University of California System’s Termination of Contract with Elsevier (Apr 10, 2019)
- Movie Screening: Paywall: The Business of Scholarship (Nov 27, 2018)
- Scholarly Communication: Open Access – A brief guide on what’s new in Scholarly Communication.
National/International News and Resources
- MIT Press opens full list of 2022 monographs via Direct to Open
- UC secures open access deal with Elsevier
- NERL and Elsevier develop open access pilot
- NERL demands a better deal
- State University of New York Steps Away From the “Big Deal” with Elsevier
- MIT ends its contract with Elsevier
- SPARC Big Deal Knowledge Base
- Is It Such a Big Deal? On the Cost of Journal Use in the Digital Era.
- SPARC Letter to the White House Regarding Rumored Open Access Policy.
- University of Washington Libraries announces new, more sustainable deal with Elsevier.
- Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science? The Guardian, June 27, 2017.
- Larivière, V., Haustein, S., & Mongeon, P. (2015) The oligopoly of academic publishers in the digital era. PLoS ONE, 10(6): e0127502.