Breeze TV Spreads the Word About Textbook Costs
Posted on: January 31, 2023
A segment on textbook affordability was included in the most recent episode of Breeze TV.
The piece featured an interview with Liz Thompson, our Open Education Librarian. Liz is leading the Libraries’ efforts in course material affordability, working to lower financial barriers to education with a multifaceted approach:
- Providing students with tips for finding affordable copies of their course materials
- Helping faculty to find open and affordable course materials
- Promoting Course Reserves, which allows instructors to place shortened checkout periods on high-use items to support class assignments
- Working with the Registrar’s Office and the bookstore to identify courses with low-cost or no-cost textbooks so that students can make informed decisions when they are choosing classes
- Purchasing online copies of some course materials required for JMU classes and notifying faculty when they are available
Liz also conducts research such as this statewide survey, educates instructors about open textbooks, and collaborates with faculty, administrators, and anyone else with an interest in open and affordable course materials.
Learn more about Liz’s work and the ways JMU Libraries is working to reduce textbook costs for students.
Contact Liz Thompson at email@example.com with any questions about textbook affordability at JMU!
Categorised in: JMU Libraries News