Coloring, book swap, chocolate meditation, and more: De-Stress for Success
Posted on: December 1, 2016
Everyone is stressed during the end of the semester. We at JMU Libraries are hosting some activities to support you during this stressful time, including coloring tables, puzzle tables, free snacks, meditation, a book swap, and some surprises! Anyone at JMU is welcome to join in these free activities.
A schedule of events will be on the Libraries’ Facebook page and the Library Events Calendar. More info about the activities:
- Coloring tables: Creative expression can have many benefits: improving problem-solving abilities, reducing stress, processing difficult emotions. Plus, it’s fun! You don’t need to be an artist to benefit from artistic expression. We provide the supplies – you have fun coloring! Thanks to the JMU Counseling Center for partnering with us to offer coloring tables in the lobby of both Rose and Carrier, and in ETMC and the Music Library, from December 5 through 15.
- Puzzle tables: Does working on a jigsaw puzzle help soothe you? If so, try the puzzle tables in the lobby of both Rose and Carrier, as well as in ETMC, from December 5 through 15.
- Book swap: Reading for fun can help relax your body and mind. Stop by the lobbies of Carrier & Rose libraries to browse for a new (used) book, which you can keep! Then if you’d like, bring in any books you no longer have the space for, to donate to your fellow Dukes. The Book Swap will be live from December 5 through 15.
- Mindfulness and meditation: Take a moment to connect with your body and calm your mind amid the stress of finals. Thanks to faculty from the JMU Initiative for Contemplative Studies and Practices for guiding these sessions. The options include:
- De-stress sweetly: Enjoy the sweetness of the present moment by exploring meditation and chocolate truffles. (Chocolate will be provided!) Date: Wed, December 14, 2-3pm. Location: Rose 5211. Size limit: 20 participants. Guided by rYn Stevens. Using contemplative, experiential teaching methods, rYn teaches Spirituality and the Visual Arts of Asia for Art History and the Honors College at JMU. She is the faculty advisor for the student meditation group, Turning In. A certified meditation instructor, rYn also teaches stress management techniques.
- What’s breath got to do with it: Stressed? Try yogic breathing for balance, centering and energy. Dates: Mon, December 12, 3-4pm AND Wed, December 14, 3-4pm. Location: Carrier 109. Guided by Shari Scofield. She is the coordinator and creator of Madison 4U, an office of Student Activities and Involvement charged with programming in student union spaces to energize them and create community. Ms. Scofield has extensive experience facilitating contemplative practices as well as a decade of personal meditation practice.
- Find stillness in movement: Feeling unbalanced? Learn ancient moving meditations to feel grounded, calm, and focused during finals week. Date: Tue, December 13, 1-2pm. Location: Carrier 109. Guided by Jared Featherstone. Jared directs the University Writing Center and teaches courses in the School of Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication. He is a facilitator for the Madison Meditates program.
- Free food: On December 12, enjoy some free snacks in the Music Library, Rose Library, ETMC, and Carrier Library. Many thanks to JMU Dining Services for donating the snacks!
- Surprises: There will be some fun De-Stress for Success surprises as well! Keep your eye on our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account for surprise announcements.
We hope some of these activities help you relax, re-charge, de-stress, and do well on your finals!
Questions? Please contact Kristen Shuyler (email@example.com) at JMU Libraries.
Categorised in: JMU Libraries News