Our organization has set the following strategic priorities in pursuit of our mission and to become an increasingly welcoming, inclusive part of the campus community:
- JMU Libraries will continue to provide high-quality services to the campus community as a foundational part of the core academic experience.
- The Libraries will support JMU’s COVID-19 response by providing expertise in online learning, access to resources, and technological infrastructure and support.
- The Libraries will strengthen and build relationships and connections with JMU communities and external partners to inform decision-making, increase awareness of our services, and contribute to JMU’s culture of engagement.
- The Libraries will continue working to realize our statement of aspirational culture, focusing in this phase on integrating best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion into operations, programming, and outreach.
- The Libraries will continue to implement its APR Action Plan in response to APR External Team recommendations, focusing in this phase on making further progress in unifying the organization, appropriately staffing the Libraries to meet growing needs, and clarifying decision-making processes.
- In partnership with the Furious Flower Poetry Center, the Libraries will develop a new model for integrated support of a living, academic center for the arts with archival, scholarly, digital, and performance components.
Several of these goals were developed as part of a STAR (Strategic Accountability and Reporting Tool) planning process, in collaboration with Libraries Leadership. Others emerged through internal Libraries and campus partner conversations, in the course of Dean Nowviskie’s first year at JMU. These goals support the necessary development of authentic understandings and cultural competencies, as well as new technical workflows and organizational structures.