Using synchronous conferencing tools such as Zoom allows for real-time interaction (with video and audio) for online, hybrid, or hyflex classes. With Zoom, you can:
- host live online class discussions, presentations, and demonstrations
- offer online office hours and meeting spaces that utilize audio, video, and file/screen sharing
- foster connection and engagement with real time interaction
On this page, you’ll find expert advice on getting started on teaching with Zoom at JMU. For personalized help, contact the Learning Innovations & Design Desk online or in Rose Library.
Use Zoom as a JMU instructor
Zoom is a synchronous online communication system supported by JMU IT.
To get started with Zoom as a JMU instructor, you must activate your account in Zoom:
- Start at https://jmu-edu.zoom.us
- Select Sign In
- Use your JMU eID, password, and Duo to sign in
Use the Zoom desktop application
- Open Zoom on your computer
- Select Sign In with SSO (log out if you don’t see that option)
- Enter jmu-edu as the domain name
- Select Continue and sign in with your JMU eID, password & Duo. Follow the instructions on the resulting page to download and use the Zoom application
Get Zoom information and help
- Contact the Learning Innovations & Design Desk online or in Rose Library
- Contact the JMU IT Help Desk for tech support for Zoom
- Follow instructions from JMU IT on using Zoom
- Refer to the Zoom Help Center
- View LinkedIn Learning courses on Zoom
Note on patient privacy and HIPAA
For recordings and video conferencing involving observing clinical sessions, telemedicine activities, patient information, etc., please refer to subject-specific HIPAA guidelines, and check the Recording Courses and Student Privacy information in the Academic Affairs FAQ.