The Madison Research Essentials Toolkit (MRE Toolkit) is a suite of videos designed to prepare you for academic research. Entering first-year students will be assigned the videos and practice exercises in their SCOM12X course via Canvas.
Madison Research Essentials Test (MREST)
Students admitted summer 2022, fall 2022 & spring 2023
You will not need to complete the Madison Research Essentials Test (MREST) requirement. Contact email@example.com or ClusterOne@jmu.edu if you have any questions.
Students admitted before or during spring 2022
You may need to complete the Madison Research Essentials Test (MREST) requirement. Review additional details on the General Education website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly if you have any questions.
Objectives for each section correlate to General Education Stated Information Literacy Outcomes.
Introduction to JMU Libraries
- Quick Overview of Services and Resources (Video – 1:32)
- Buildings and Spaces (Video – 3:25)
Scholarship is a Conversation
Objective: Recognize the components of scholarly work and that scholarship can take many forms.
- Components of Scholarly Work (Video – 3:05)
- Scholarship Forms (Video – 3:07)
Searching as Strategic Exploration
Objective: Demonstrate persistence and employ multiple strategies in research and discovery.
Research as Inquiry
Objective: Identify gaps in their own knowledge and formulate appropriate questions for investigation in academic settings.
- Identify Gaps (Video – 3:12)
- Appropriate Questions (Video – 4:10)
Authority is Constructed and Contextual
Objective: Evaluate the quality of information and acknowledge expertise.
- Evaluating the Quality of Information (Video – 5:39)
- Quality of Internet Sources (Video – 2:27)
Information Creation is a Process
Objective: Use information effectively in their own work and make contextually appropriate choices for sharing their scholarship.
- Quoting (Video – 2:45)
- Sharing Scholarship (Video – 6:52)
Information Has Value
Objective: Use information legally and ethically.
- Intro to Ethics (Video – 3:12)
- Copyright and Fair Use (Video – 4:44)
- Plagiarism (Video – 3:08)
- Personal Information (Video – 4:49)