Fall 2020 update:
The Special Collections reading room will re-open by-appointment only beginning August 25, 2020.
See Fall 2020 Access to Special Collections for instructions on requesting an appointment and required COVID-19 protocols.
JMU Special Collections is open to all.
When visiting Special Collections for the first time, patrons must first register as a user with the Special Collections Request System. Researchers must make all requests for materials through the Special Collections Request System, and may only use materials on-site in the Special Collections reading room.
Click on the image below to register in advance of your visit:
Reading Room Policies
- Under no circumstances may researchers remove collection material from the reading room.
- Researchers agree to handle all collections gently and carefully and to keep loose documents in the order they are found. Handle unique and rare materials with care. Keep them flat on your table or in cradles provided by staff.
- Use one box and one folder at a time. Order is important in archival collections. Please maintain it.
- Pencils, limited sheets of loose paper, laptop computers, mobile devices on silent settings, and digital cameras are allowed in the reading room. Store your backpacks, bags, and other bulky items in lockers or designated area.
- All food and beverages (including water bottles) are prohibited.
- Wash hands before beginning your research.
- Special Collections staff may examine laptops, notes, and other items when researchers exit the reading room.
- Researchers may use digital cameras for same-day copying of unrestricted collections. Other options (not same day) for copying may be available. Please consult with staff about other available reproduction services.
- Personal identification information from the Special Collections Request System is kept for statistical and security purposes. JMU Libraries Special Collections will retain information collected from researchers indefinitely.
- Know we are here to answer questions about research, collections, and proper handling of materials.
Fall 2020: Open by appointment only. Exceptions are listed on the JMU Libraries Hours page
The following times are available:
- Tuesdays: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Thursdays: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
See Fall 2020 Access to Special Collections for guidance on requesting an appointment through the Special Collections Request System.
Contact Special Collections Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
In order to park on JMU’s campus, a parking permit must be hung from the rear view mirror and may be obtained free of charge Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m from JMU Parking Services, located in the ground-level office of the Champions Parking Deck. See Parking Services Visitor FAQs for additional information.
All requests for reproduction must be made through your account from the Special Collections Request System. Digitized materials will be delivered via your account, and will be available for download for 30 days.
Contact email@example.com with questions about reproduction requests.
Class visits and Instruction
Due to limited instructor availability, Special Collections will consider instruction requests on a limited basis for the fall 2020 semester.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with all questions regarding Special Collections instruction requests.