Course Reserves are Online-Only for Spring Semester 2021
Posted on: December 14, 2020
To support student health and safety, our Course Reserves service will be limited to online resources only for the Spring 2021 semester.
For Students – How to find Course Reserves:
Visit this Course Reserves page and search for items on reserve. Type your course code (e.g. HIST or HIST 385), or your instructor’s last name, or the title or ISBN of the book/item, into the search box. Please Ask the Library if you need help finding a book or other item on reserve.
For Faculty Members – How to submit Course Reserves requests:
Submit requests for online Course Reserves materials using the Course Reserves management system. We will inform you of the options available. Your liaison librarian can also help you identify online options, including free online textbooks and other open educational resources.
- E-books can be a good option for online Course Reserves. During the fall semester, many of you took advantage of the JMU Libraries collection of e-books and linked relevant e-books to your courses through Course Reserves. We invite you to do the same for the spring! You can browse our e-books and link relevant e-books to your courses through the Course Reserves management system.
- Linking e-books to your course through Course Reserves makes it easier for students to access the e-books. Students will be able to find all e-books for all of their courses by searching on this Course Reserves page, as described in the “For Students” section above.
- E-books from the Libraries’ collection provided via Course Reserves will have a variety of access limits. Some e-books will allow for unlimited simultaneous users. Others will allow only one or a few simultaneous users. These limits are often set by the publisher. Reserves materials in other formats may have different allowances for simultaneous uses. Please ask email@example.com if you would like more information about how many people can use an online Course Reserves reading at the same time.
We have worked hard to make print items more accessible for online course reserves. You can:
- Request scanned materials: This spring, we will offer scanning services to make chapters or sections of library materials available digitally for use in Canvas.
- Submit scanning requests here.
- Course Reserves staff reserve the right to determine whether scanning requests are compliant with Copyright Fair Use guidelines.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Suggest new online materials for course reserves: Submit requests using the Course Reserves management system if you want to suggest electronic materials for us to consider purchasing for Course Reserves.
- Contact your liaison librarian: Your liaison librarian can assist you in identifying online/electronic options, including open educational resources.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Categorised in: JMU Libraries News