JMU Libraries offer a variety of study space and meeting rooms. Groups wishing to find a space to study together may use the open study spaces, first-come, first-served study rooms, or the bookable study rooms. Individuals may also use the open study spaces at any time or the designated quiet study rooms in the evenings.
JMU faculty who would like to bring their class to the library for library instruction are encouraged to contact a Liaison Librarian.
Use of space in Carrier and Rose libraries may be granted for special events organized by JMU groups, staff, faculty, students, student organizations, or local community groups. Interested in requesting use of library spaces for your group or organization? Explore our policies and procedures for Facilities Use Requests.
The following provides more information on the types of spaces available.
Open Study Space
JMU Libraries offers space for small groups to meet throughout Carrier and Rose including large work tables and lounge areas with couches and chairs. Please respect Quiet Zone signs where posted.
Group Study Rooms
First-come, first-served group study rooms are available in both Carrier and Rose. Select group study rooms in Carrier and Rose libraries may be booked by JMU faculty, students, and staff. Rooms may be booked up to one week in advance and daily bookings may not exceed two hours. Find current availability and book your room through Book a Group Study.
Use of group study rooms for commercial purposes is prohibited.
- All group study rooms are for two or more people. Individuals occupying the room alone will be asked to leave.
- The individual booking the room must occupy the room. There is a 10-minute grace period for arriving at the room. If the room is not occupied by two or more members of the group within 10 minutes the booking may be forfeited.
- Personal items left in group study rooms will not be considered occupancy of the room and may be removed to the lost and found. JMU Libraries are not responsible for theft of or damage to unattended property.
- Groups exhibiting inappropriate, loud, or disruptive behavior will be asked to leave.
- Please be respectful of the room and leave it in good condition for the next group. Furnishings from other parts of the building may not be brought into the rooms.
- Please report any issues with the rooms or the technology in them to any member of the Ask the Library staff.
24-Hour Study Space
Rose Library has a 24-hour study space equipped with two first-come, first-served group study rooms, a large study area with tables and soft seating, and a general use computer lab. This space is available for JMU users and a JACard is required for entry.
Additional Quiet Study Space
Select meeting rooms and spaces are available in Carrier and Rose for quiet, individual study from 5pm to closing each evening unless otherwise reserved. These spaces include: Carrier 109, Carrier 301, Rose 3311, Rose 3313, and the open seating on the 5th Floor of Rose Library. All spaces with the exception of Rose 5th floor require a JACard for access.
Questions? Please visit the Ask the Library desk or contact us via chat, email or phone.