Faculty Learning Opportunities:
- JMU Libraries Online and Blended Learning Institute
- Based on the framework of Quality Matters Rubric, Online Learning Consortium Quality Scorecards, AECT Instructional Design Standards for Distance Learning, and updated literature of online and blended learning, this institute offers a curriculum to understand the principles of instructional design, to acquire or renew pedagogy that can lead to interactivity and presence in online learning environments, to develop skillsets of using technologies, and to co-develop practical teaching methods based on focused one-on-one analysis of instructional content, learning activities, and assessment of each course.
- Online Teaching at Its Best: Collaborative Book Talk
- Teaching and Collaborating with Video Conferencing
- Sandbox of Engaged Learning with Video Analysis and Feedback
- Beyond the Discussion Board
- Engage Student Learning with H5P Interactive Content
- Facilitate and Engage Learning Communities on Canvas
- Introduction to Video Captioning
- Departmental Collaborative Curriculum Design and Redesign, e.g. AA to BIS online program for early childhood education
Services and Support
- Student Success in Online Learning Environment (an example Canvas-based orientation site)
- Technology preparation and support information for students
- Consultation and Support in areas including but not limited to:
- Course design, aligning course structure and learning activities with objectives
- Course development, in collaboration with JMU Libraries Media Production Services
- Best practice of teaching with Canvas Learning Management System
- Design and redesign of curriculum and learning assessment in online environments
- Applied research for effective use of technologies in teaching and learning
- Online Instructional Use of Media Collection
This JMU Libraries’ service has the purposes of:
- Accepts requests for materials that are integral to your teaching goals and not supplementary or optional for those goals and for your students.
- Reviews your request for Canvas use of audio/video media that we own, or you own, and if approved provides access in the streaming form within your course site.
These sources contain material that is available under Creative Commons, Public Domain, or JMU license.
Video Management Services: Find out how JMU Libraries’ video management services can help your video hosting and publish for online and blended courses.
Canvas Learning Management System is the primary online, blended, and distance learning platform that is supported by the JMU Libraries and JMU Information Technology. More information about JMU Canvas and support can be accessed at https://www.lib.jmu.edu/ask/tech-support/
|Online Teaching Strategy Updates|
Synchronous Online Teaching – Enhance Presence and Interaction
More and more online and blended classes use synchronous technologies to connect class members with video and audio communication.
Best Practice for Synchronous Sessions by Kristina Wilson from Northwestern University.
Should you add a synchronous component to your online teaching strategy? by Christine Lewinski, Ed.D from Keypath Instructional Services