Respondus Monitor for students
Respondus Monitor is an online test proctoring software system integrated into Canvas. It is an additional feature of Respondus LockDown Browser that uses a webcam to provide synchronous test proctoring.
When Respondus Monitor is enabled for a quiz or exam, students are required to use a webcam and microphone with Lockdown Browser. After the quiz is complete, an instructor can review recorded details of the assessment, with the videos available.
To install and use Respondus Monitor
Use one of these Quick Start Guides from Respondus to learn how to install and use Monitor:
To get help with Respondus Monitor at JMU
Respondus LockDown Browser for students
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a secure browser for taking exams in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas exam requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser is only used for Canvas tests. It is not be used in other areas of Canvas.
LockDown Browser is installed on the computers in both Carrier Library and Rose Library. If you’re taking a test in Canvas that requires the use of LockDown Browser, you can use any of our computers.
To install and use Respondus LockDown Browser
- Install Pulse Secure before you download Respondus Lockdown Browser for your JMU classes.
- Download the Respondus Lockdown Browser here.
- Note: this link will most likely detect your operating system You will likely see James Madison University above the “Install Now” button. Choose the Windows or Macintosh version if necessary. Please let your instructor know as soon as possible if you do not have access to a compatible device.
- You may want to review the download instructions in the Respondus Knowledgebase.
- After downloading and installing LockDown Browser, use your usual web browser to navigate to your quiz in Canvas.
- If the quiz you are trying to take was created with New Quizzes in Canvas, LockDown Browser should automatically launch,
- If LockDown Browser does not automatically launch, exit your web browser. Locate LockDown Browser on your machine and launch the application. You should be taken to the Canvas login screen, where you can navigate to your quiz.
To get help with Respondus LockDown Browser at JMU
- Contact Learning Technology Services at JMU Libraries
- Watch the Student video for LockDown Browser from Respondus
- Use the Student quick start guide from Respondus