Director of Technology, Assistant Professor
I am the Director of Technology at the JMU Libraries. I report to the Associate Dean for Discovery, Access, and Technologies (DATech) and some of my current responsibilities include:
- Supervising and managing Learning Technology Services (LTS), Library Desktop Support, Library Web & Application Services, and Systems & Operations.
- Coordinating with Library Administration and JMU Information Technology on projects involving the campus-wide implementation of technology systems and services.
- Participating in Dean’s Council, Library Leadership, Academic Software Review Committee, Online Learning Leadership Group, Faculty Assembly, Technology Coordinators, and other groups and committees as necessary.
- Drafting and submitting Technology Solutions Requests to Information Technology on behalf of Library individuals or departments wanting to implement new or additional technical solutions.
I have worked for the JMU libraries in various technology capacities for almost 28 years. Outside of work I enjoy fishing, gardening, playing with and walking our three border collies on our farm, and collecting wildlife pictures on trail cameras – generally anything involving nature and the outdoors.
About Discovery, Access, and Technology
We are responsible for collections, metadata, and technology. Units include Technology, Scholarly Resources and Discovery, Interlibrary Loan and Course Reserves, Access and Delivery, and Metadata Strategies.
We administer and support a wide range of library and educational technologies. Teams include Desktop Support, Learning Technology Services, Systems & Operations, and Web & Applications Services.
- Desktop Support: We support library staff with hardware and software needs. We manage computing, printing, and scanning in public and classroom spaces.
- Learning Technology Services: We support the university’s learning management system (LMS), technologies integrated into the LMS, classroom interaction, proctoring, and course evaluation software.
- Systems & Operations: We support library data center infrastructure, administer physical and virtual servers, and install and maintain library systems.
- Web & Application Services: We manage our web presences and web applications in addition to administering video management services, tools for internal collaboration, and user-focused library services platforms.