Director of Technology, Assistant Professor
I am the Director of Technology at the JMU Libraries. I report to the Associate Dean for Discovery, Access, and Technologies (DATech) and some of my current responsibilities include:
- Supervising and managing Learning Technology Services (LTS), Library Desktop Support, Library Web & Application Services, and Systems & Operations.
- Coordinating with Library Administration and JMU Information Technology on projects involving the campus-wide implementation of technology systems and services.
- Participating in Dean’s Council, Library Leadership, Academic Software Review Committee, Online Learning Leadership Group, Faculty Assembly, Technology Coordinators, and other groups and committees as necessary.
- Drafting and submitting Technology Solutions Requests to Information Technology on behalf of Library individuals or departments wanting to implement new or additional technical solutions.
I have worked for the JMU libraries in various technology capacities for almost 28 years. Outside of work I enjoy fishing, gardening, playing with and walking our three border collies on our farm, and collecting wildlife pictures on trail cameras – generally anything involving nature and the outdoors.
About Discovery, Access, and Technology
Discovery, Access and Technology (DATech) is the library unit responsible for collections, metadata, and technology. The collections unit includes selection, acquisitions, and resources sharing; the metadata unit revolves around making sure that our collections are discoverable through metadata through our discovery tools and platforms; the technology unit includes desktop support, systems operations, learning technology (Canvas), and web application services.
Library Technology consists of four departments:
- Desktop Support: Supporting library staff with hardware and software needs and managing computing, printing, and scanning in public and classroom spaces.
- Learning Technology Services: Supporting the university’s learning management system (LMS), LMS integrated technologies, classroom interaction, proctoring, and course evaluation software.
- Systems & Operations: Supporting library data center infrastructure, physical and virtual server administration, and installation and maintenance of library systems.
- Web & Application Services: Managing our web presences and web applications in addition to administering video services, collaboration platforms, and library services platforms.