Director, Communications and Outreach, Assistant Professor
As the Director of the Libraries’ Communications and Outreach department, I strive to inform the JMU and local community about how they can learn, research, create, explore, and play with support and resources from the JMU Libraries. My main duties include:
- Supervising and supporting the folks in the department.
- Providing leadership and vision for a coordinated, unified, strategic direction for communications, marketing, and outreach that advances the Libraries’ strategic priorities and aligns with the organization’s values.
- Writing, editing, and maintaining content on the Libraries’ website in collaboration with Web and Application Services.
- Providing leadership and vision for the Libraries’ outreach through JMU Orientation and other efforts led by Student Affairs.
- Collaborating to develop processes, workflows, and policies related to communications, marketing, and outreach work.
- Ensuring that official communications from the Libraries follow the JMU Brand Guide and the JMU Libraries’ Brand Identity Guide.
- Serving as a contact to JMU Student Affairs, Office of Admissions, and University Communications and Marketing.
- Pursuing service, scholarship, and professional development as a faculty member at JMU.
As a researcher, my interests and work center on academic library outreach, civic engagement, student affairs partnerships, and games for library outreach. Please visit my Google Scholar profile or Selected Works page for my publications and presentations.
BA (Geography and Environmental Studies), University of Oregon
MA (Geography), University of Washington
MLIS (Library and Information Science), University of Washington
About Communications & Outreach
We lead, coordinate, and support communications, marketing, and outreach efforts that promote the JMU Libraries and empower our diverse communities to engage with the Libraries. We collaborate with University Communications and Marketing, the Division of Student Affairs, the Office of Admissions, and other JMU units.
About Strategy & Development
We lead and facilitate communications and outreach, organizational learning and development, philanthropy, planning, and strategic research and assessment activities.