Director of Communications and Outreach, Associate Professor
As the Director of the Libraries’ Communications and Outreach (C&O) department, I focus on:
- Supervising and supporting the folks in the C&O department.
- Providing leadership and vision for a coordinated, unified, strategic direction for communications, marketing, outreach, events, and philanthropy that advances the Libraries’ strategic priorities and aligns with the organization’s values.
- Writing, editing, and maintaining content on the Libraries’ website in collaboration with Web and Application Services. Collaboratively developing policies and workflows related to website content.
- Collaborating to develop processes, workflows, and policies related to communications, marketing, and outreach work.
- Ensuring that official, broad communications from the Libraries follow the JMU identity standards , the Libraries’ brand guide, and, when appropriate, align with campus-level communications efforts.
- Managing media relations for the Libraries.
- Collaborating in the planning and management of JMU Libraries.
- Participating in shared governance and pursuing service, scholarship, and professional development as a faculty member at JMU.
As a researcher, my interests and work center on academic library outreach, civic engagement, student affairs partnerships, and games for library outreach. My Google Scholar profile and Selected Works page list my publications and presentations.
BA (Geography and Environmental Studies), University of Oregon
MA (Geography), University of Washington
MLIS (Library and Information Science), University of Washington
About Communications & Outreach
We lead communications, marketing, and outreach on behalf of JMU Libraries. Our communications reach a variety of audiences, including current and prospective students, faculty, staff, donors, alumni, JMU parents and families, and the local community.
The Communications & Outreach team manages promotion, media relations, messaging, and branding for the Libraries. We collaborate with University Communications, University Marketing & Branding, the Division of Student Affairs, and the Office of Admissions. We also partner with various units within University Advancement to coordinate the Libraries’ participation in fundraising.
About Dean's Office
The office of the Dean of Libraries includes associate deans for the four major divisions of the JMU Libraries (AE, DATech, LID, and Admin) as well as senior professional faculty leading strategic intiatives.
About Libraries Administration
We support and challenge JMU Libraries’ staff and faculty to live up to our guiding statements — as we work together to provide excellent library and educational technology resources, spaces, services, and expertise to our campus community. Libraries’ Administration includes Communications and Outreach, Data Analytics, Facilities Operations, Finance and Human Resources, and the office of the Dean.