Our Facility and Location Names
- Brand Guide Home
- Visual Brand
- Web Guidelines
- Writing Guidelines
- Guiding Statements
This list provides the preferred, official name for each of our locations followed by usage notes and acceptable variations of the locations’ names.
- Acceptable variations, depending on context: Carrier
- Not acceptable: Carrier library, JMU Carrier Library, JMU Carrier library
- Acceptable variations, depending on context: Rose
- Not acceptable: Rose library, East Campus Library, ECL, JMU Rose Library, JMU Rose library
- Acceptable variations, depending on context: Music
- Not acceptable: Music library, JMU Music Library, JMU Music library
Educational Technology & Media Center
Acceptable variations, depending on context: ETMC, Pruden Educational Technology and Media Center, Pruden Educational Technology & Media Center, Educational Technology and Media Center
- To indicate The Makery, the preferred language is: “The Makery in Rose Library.” Acceptable variations: The Makery, The Makery in Rose, The Rose Makery, the makerspace in Rose, the Rose makerspace.
- Acceptable variations, depending on context: JMU Libraries makerspace
- Not acceptable: makeryspace, The Makeries, the Makery, the makery
libraries, the libraries, library locations, library facilities, library buildings
Use one of these lowercase terms when referring to our library locations without referring to a specific location (e.g., “all of the libraries at JMU have books”).
“Carrier and Rose Libraries”
When referring to multiple named locations at once, combine the proper location names with one instance of the word Libraries (e.g., “Carrier and Rose Libraries”), or use the acceptable variation (e.g., “Carrier and Rose”).